Friday the 13th has come 3 times this year, in January, April and July. The next Friday the 13th will not come unitl September of 2013. This is great news for paraskevidekatriaphobics, or people who fear Friday the 13th. As long as they can make it though today in one piece they can relax for the next 14 months, unless of course they also have triskaidekaphobia which is the fear of the number 13.
For us, Friday the 13th is a day of celebration, so with that in mind, here are some fun facts about this freaky Friday.
1. in 2012 there are 3 Friday the 13ths and they fall exactly 13 weeks apart.
2. Many buildings skip the thirteenth floor for anyone that is superstitious. If this is the case, would you really want to stay on the “fourteenth” floor?
3. The next time we will get three Friday the 13ths is in 2015 and they will be in February, March and November.
4. FDR, Herbert Hoover and Napoleon were said to be triskaidekaphobic.
5. Rap artist Tupak Sakur was gunned down on September 13, 1996.
6. Famous people born on this day include Margaret Thatcher, Fidel Castro.
7. Infamous murderers John Way Gacy, Theodore Bundy Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Saddam Hussein all have names that contain 13 letters.
8. There is no 13th Avenue in San Francisco. It goes from 12 to 14.
9. Months with a Friday the 13th always start with a Sunday.
10. No one in Formula 1 racing is allowed to have the number 13 because two drivers with that number died in crashes.
11. A folklore remedy to cure triskaidekaphobia is to burn all of your socks that have holes in them.
12. The remake of the original Friday the 13th movie was released on Friday, February 13, 2009. It is one of the scariest movies of all time.
13. Some actually consider it to be a lucky day. Personally, it is the day my daughter was born – 6/13/97.
We hope you enjoy this day. Not every Friday the 13th needs to involve Jason Voorhees and a bloody masacre….but be careful anyway!!!!!!!!