In the Springtime, Mother Nature is at her best. On Monday, April 22, 2013 we will celebrate the 43rd annual Earth Day, a day that we spread awareness about supporting and protecting this Big Blue Marble we call home.
Events include demonstrations about recycling and repurposing, spreading awareness about deforestation and conservation and gathering people together in support of a cleaner, greener world. But believe it or not, it’s a whole lot of fun for the entire family.
Go Green for Earth Day with these suggestions:
- Spring Cleaning – go through all of your old clothes, used Halloween Costumes, items that no longer fit and outfits that are not longer in season. Organized them and donate them to Good Will.
- If you haven’t started recycling at your place of business, we say what are you waiting for?!?!?! It is mandatory in most towns that residential trash be separated for recycling but people seem to get away with not recycling when they are at work. Start a recycling program in your office.
- Learn about Re-purposing – What is old is new again. The shabby old dresser in your basement can be refinished and covered with a piece of granite salvaged from a fire sale to create a high-end bathroom vanity. Before we overload our landfills, try to figure out if there is a way to reuse what you have before you throw it away.
- Plant a tree. We will never be able to replenish what is lost through deforestation but every new tree planted helps keep our planet clean and beautiful.
- Love your surroundings – when you go for a walk, carry a bag with you to pick up litter you find along the way. This little bit of effort will make the environment cleaner and prettier for the next person that walks by. It will also make you feel like you did something worthwhile for the Earth.
We all have to live here on Earth so we need to get along and take good care of it for future generations. Have a great Earth Day, enjoy the beautiful spring weather and have fun celebrating our wonderful world.